4th axis wrapped inlay test 

 This was a rushed attempt to install a 4th axis wrapped inlay.  In my haste, I made a rookie mistake but at least proved that I was on the right track.  It's how I learn new things :-)

Here's the sample inlay I made.  Nothing special about it but I wanted to install a 1" wide inlay in a buttsleeve while using a 1/32" diameter cutter.  The mistake I made was in my setup: I neglected to level my indexing station, which is similar to a long sine bar and can be set at an angle.  Well, it WAS set at an angle & I didn't notice until too late & I was completely finished.  This threw off my Z heights because I set the Z at random locations, not realizing that the top surface wasn't level.  Guess what? Your Z heights are critical.

Here's a look at the 2nd pocket (there's one with some other mistake 180° opposite).  Also, a look at the inlay installed in the pocket & turned flush.  I knew something was wrong when I installed it but still hadn't noticed the indexer wasn't level.  I figured it was me.  Well, yeah, it was me but it wasn't what I thought.

Afterwards, I cut away some of the wood so I would have a cross-section view of my work.  You can easily see the rounded pocket for the inlay.  This shows the advantages of installing an inlay this way: you can make the inlay nice & wide while not exceeding the depth-of-cut limitations of a smaller diameter cutter.  Yes, there are other limitations because of the sides being tapered in only one axis but that's a topic for anther time.

Here you can see that the inlay hadn't seated properly in the pocket.  This is directly attributable to the Z height errors I incurred in my wonky setup.  That said, I'm anxious to get an opportunity to try this again, only doing it correctly.  I think I have a handle on it now but I've been wrong before.  Still...it was fun!